Acknowledging the need to make energy accessible to every household in the country, the government of India started the Saubhagya scheme.
What does the PM Saubhagya Yojana entail?
The electricity connection to household basically includes the release of electricity connections by getting a service cable from the nearest electricity pole to the premises of the household devoid of electricity, post which there will be the installation of energy meter, wiring for a single point with LED bulb and a charging point for charging mobile devices.
The scheme was launched in New Delhi on September 25, 2017.
Features of the scheme
The scheme primarily aims to offer the following:
- Electricity access to all households willing to subscribe to the plan
- Households get to substitute primitive sources of energy like fuel
- Considerable improvement in health service
- Improvement in communication facility and better access to services
- Enhanced public safety
- Increased job opportunities
- Better quality of life especially for women in rural areas
Highlights of the scheme
- The scheme was basically launched on the occasion of the birth centenary celebration of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhaya which falls on the 25th of September.
- The scheme aims to accomplish its goal, which is 24×7 power for all and to provide electricity connection to households across the nation.
- The scheme promises to provide subsidies on equipments like transformers, wires, and electric meters.
- Power connections will be provided in urban as well as rural areas.
Getting the nation on the power grid has become vitally important to ensure holistic development. This scheme, therefore, is a brilliant move in the direction of progress.