With the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, workers from the unorganized sector lost their jobs, thereby losing means of earning a livelihood. With the effects of lockdowns soaring prices of goods, workers and their families found it increasingly difficult to make ends meet.
Acknowledging the situation workers from the unorganized sector found themselves to be in, the government of Tamil Nadu launched a scheme in favour of the labourers.
According to this scheme, the TN government is inviting workers from the unorganized sector to register online to the TN Labour online registration.
Those labourers who, for any reason whatsoever, could not avail of the benefits of several Covid-19 welfare measures implemented, can now register and login to apply online.
What will registering to the TN online labour registration do?
During the Covid-19 pandemic, the government of India imposed lockdowns considering the safety of the people. The Tamil Nadu government, in the wake of these lockdowns, offered financial assistance of ₹1,000 twice to registered labourers. Moreover, the Tamil Nadu government also gave dry ration twice to registered workers of the welfare board.
According to statistics and records, around 27.4 lakh labourers were registered with 17 welfare boards under the Tamil Nadu labour department.
How to register at the Tamil Nadu Labour Department online portal?
The steps to register with the Tamil Nadu labour department are mentioned herewith:
- Visit the official website of the Tamil Nadu Labour Department.
- Click on the Login option on the homepage, as shown here:
- On the login page, click on the “New User?” option as shown.
- Once you click on it, the Online registration form will open up in which the applicant will have to fill in the required information correctly, like name, date of birth, location, address for communication, contact details, etc.
- The applicant would also have to register and verify the mobile number/email ID.
- Finally, the applicant would have to upload documents and create the password which will help the applicant to log in again later to perhaps check the status of the Labour department application.
Benefits of registering with the Labour Department
- Through the Labour department, the TN government is providing financial support to unorganized sector workers.
- The government will also provide food and security through this portal.
- Earlier, applicants would have to physically visit the Labour department to get themselves registered, which is no longer needed and the applicant can now register by simply sitting at home.
Eligibility criteria for TN Labour Registration
In order to be eligible for the TN labour registration, the following documents are needed:
- The applicant has to procure proof proving that she/he is a permanent resident of Tamil Nadu
- Driving license
- Voter ID
- Aadhaar Card
- Ration card
- Passport size photographs – soft copy
- Mobile number
In order to benefit from what the Labour Department has to offer, the applicant would have to follow the above-mentioned steps. With such assistance being offered, workers from the unorganized sector in Tamil Nadu can now breathe a sigh of relief.